A wine & cheese networking reception follows the panel discussion.
Kevin Casey of New Avenue Inc.
Kevin Casey started New Avenue while an MBA student at the Haas School of Business and has worked full time on the venture since graduating in May 2009. He holds a B.A. in Economics and Anthropology from Fordham University and has researched small business development as a Fulbright Scholar in Indonesia. In addition to working in commercial real estate in New York, he founded and managed a global distribution business operating in 13 countries. Kevin also managed design and deployment of oracle business intelligence systems for Charles Schwab.
Michael Harlock, AIA principal of Michael J. Harlock, AIA
Michael Harlock, AIA is principal of Michael J. Harlock A.I.A. a full service residential architectural firm located in Marin County. Prior to founding his firm, Michael was senior associate, project manager and studio administrator for fourteen years at Whisler Patri Architects and SGPA Architecture & Planning in San Francisco. Over the course of his career, Michael's interests have addressed the built environment at various scales including extensive experience in city planning, site design, and the movement towards a sustainable society.
Debra Sanderson, City of Berkeley Zoning Officer and the Division Manager for the Land Use Planning Division
Moderator: Andrew Lee, AIA
Topics discussed will include:
- The value of second units; to the local community and larger housing needs.
- Why they (and related home occupations) are very green and community strengthening.
- How current California (and local) law facilitates (or discourages) the production of second units.
- Successful architectural solutions; useful prototypes going forward.
- How second (or third unit) policies could enliven urban design and help neighborhoods evolve towards a sustainable future.
Monthly Program: Secondary Units - A Zero Sprawl Solution?
Location: AIA East Bay Chapter Office, 1405 Clay Street, Oakland.
Cost: $15.75 for AIA Members; $21 for non-members. Registration is required. Click here to register.
1 CES LU
For more information: 510/464-3600