Open House Senior Center in El Cerrito
6500 Stockton Ave.
A Free Seismic Retrofit Seminar
Saturday June 23
10 a.m. to 12 noon
Understanding the principles and practice of effective wood frame seismic retrofitting
An extensive number of photos and drawings will be presented. We will cover issues such as:
1. Why an April 2006 Contra Costa Times article discovered that two-thirds of all retrofits will not perform as intended and how to insure your house is not one of them.
2. Why geologists fear the Hayward Fault can rupture at any time.
3. An explanation of earthquake retrofit design principles and the most up to date retrofit practices.
4. Lessons learned in the Los Angeles Northridge earthquake and how you can profit from them.
5. Special problems posed by hillside homes.
Seminar instructors: Jeanne Perkins, Earthquake hazards mitigation expert with the Association of Bay Area Governments. http://quake.abag.ca.gov/fixit
Thor Matteson, a nationally acclaimed structural engineer and author of Wood-Framed Shear Wall Construction-an Illustrated Guide, published by the International Code Council. See www.shearwalls.com
Howard Cook, a former Residential Earthquake Damage Inspector for FEMA, a former Berkeley Disaster Commissioner, and co-author of Plan Set A, an International Code Council retrofit guideline. He is also the former owner of Bay Area Retrofit, an East Bay residential retrofit company based in Berkeley since 1994. See www.bayarearetrofit.com
For more information: Bayarearetrofit@aol.com